Fareed Ahmed Shaikh, Syed Shahabuddin, Haroon Rashid, Noman Shahzad
Int J Med Rev Case Rep. 2017; 1(1): 20-22
What we can learn from this publication?
The case report presents an event of manubriosternal dislocation in which fixation was done with locking compression plate. It is a case of 32-years-old lady with a history of road traffic accident. The car ran over her chest. She had bilateral lung contusions with multiple rib fractures on right side and manubriosternal joint dislocation of type-I. The patient was initially stabilised in high dependency unit, and once her contusions got better, she underwent fixation of her manubriosternal dislocation with locking compression plate.
However, this case report will be a valuable addition to literature to achieve desirable outcome after surgical management of sternal fractures with titanium plate during the same hospitalisation.
1. Salloum W, Nikolaidis N, Weeden D. Manubriosternal Joint Dislocation–A Treatment Dilemma. The Internet Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2009;15(1).
2. Lemaitre J, Koriche C, Massard G, Wihlm J. Manubriosternal Disjunction: a New Approach for Surgical Repair. Acta chirurgica Belgica. 2004:593 5.
3. Nijs S, Broos P. Sterno-manubrial dislocation in a 9-year old gymnast. Acta chirurgica Belgica. 2005;105(4):422.
4. Gaines RJ, Wilson A, Antevil J, Demaio M. Parallel plating for a sternomanubrial dislocation. Orthopedics. 2012;35(8):e1276-8.
5. Thirupathi R, Husted C. Traumatic disruption of the manubriosternal joint. A case report. Bulletin of the Hospital for Joint Diseases Orthopaedic Institute. 1981;42(2):242-7.
6. Harston A, Roberts C. Fixation of sternal fractures: a systematic review. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2011;71(6):1875-9.
7. Chou SS, Sena MJ, Wong MS. Use of SternaLock plating system in acute treatment of unstable traumatic sternal fractures. The Annals of thoracic surgery. 2011;91(2):597-9.
8. Abdul-Rahman MR, Seong NK, Hee TG, Aljada ME, Reda TA, SuMin JO, et al., editors. Comminuted sternal fracture—a sternotomy wire fixation: report of 2 cases. The heart surgery forum; 2009: Carden Jennings.
9. Al-Qudah A. Operative treatment of sternal fractures. Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals. 2006;14(5):399-401.
10. Severson EP, Thompson CA, Resig SG, Swiontkowski MF. Transverse sternal nonunion, repair and revision: a case report and review of the literature. Journal of Trauma-Injury, Infection, and Critical Care. 2009;66(5):1485-8
How to Cite This Article
SHAIKH, FAREED, SYED SHAHABUDDIN, HAROON RASHID, and Noman Shahzad. “SURGICAL MANAGEMENT OF TRAUMATIC MANUBRIO-STERNAL DISLOCATION WITH LOCKING COMPRESSION PLATE; A CASE REPORT AND REVIEW OF LITERATURE.” International Journal of Medical Reviews and Case Reports (2017): 1. doi:10.5455/ijmrcr.surgical-management-traumatic-manubrio-sternal-dislocation.