1) Department Of Surgery, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan.
Disclosure: The author has declared no conflicts of interest.
Fulltext PDF Download
Export to RefMan
Export to EndNote
Article Stats by PlumX
Background: Manubriosternal joint dislocation as a result of trauma is rare with only few case reports published in literature. Materials that have been used for fixation of displaced manubriosternal joint are steel wires, polydioxanone ropes, and plates with screws.
Case: We present a case of manubriosternal dislocation in which fixation was done with locking compression plate. This is a case of 32 years old lady with history of road traffic accident, car ran over her chest. She had bilateral lung contusions with multiple rib fractures on right side and manubriosternal joint dislocation of type-I. Patient was initially stabilized in high dependency unit, and once her contusions got better, she underwent fixation of her manubriosternal dislocation with locking compression plate. Post-operatively she remained pain free and was discharged home.
Conclusion: This case is an important addition to literature regarding options that can be used for fixation of manubriosternal joint dislocation.
Key words: Manubriosternal joint, Plate fixation, Joint dislocation, Chest trauma
1. Salloum W, Nikolaidis N, Weeden D. Manubriosternal Joint Dislocation–A Treatment Dilemma. The Internet Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2009;15(1).
2. Lemaitre J, Koriche C, Massard G, Wihlm J. Manubriosternal Disjunction: a New Approach for Surgical Repair. Acta chirurgica Belgica. 2004:593 5.
3. Nijs S, Broos P. Sterno-manubrial dislocation in a 9-year old gymnast. Acta chirurgica Belgica. 2005;105(4):422.
4. Gaines RJ, Wilson A, Antevil J, Demaio M. Parallel plating for a sternomanubrial dislocation. Orthopedics. 2012;35(8):e1276-8.
5. Thirupathi R, Husted C. Traumatic disruption of the manubriosternal joint. A case report. Bulletin of the Hospital for Joint Diseases Orthopaedic Institute. 1981;42(2):242-7.
6. Harston A, Roberts C. Fixation of sternal fractures: a systematic review. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2011;71(6):1875-9.
7. Chou SS, Sena MJ, Wong MS. Use of SternaLock plating system in acute treatment of unstable traumatic sternal fractures. The Annals of thoracic surgery. 2011;91(2):597-9.
8. Abdul-Rahman MR, Seong NK, Hee TG, Aljada ME, Reda TA, SuMin JO, et al., editors. Comminuted sternal fracture—a sternotomy wire fixation: report of 2 cases. The heart surgery forum; 2009: Carden Jennings.
9. Al-Qudah A. Operative treatment of sternal fractures. Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals. 2006;14(5):399-401.
10. Severson EP, Thompson CA, Resig SG, Swiontkowski MF. Transverse sternal nonunion, repair and revision: a case report and review of the literature. Journal of Trauma-Injury, Infection, and Critical Care. 2009;66(5):1485-8
How to Cite This Article
SHAIKH, FAREED, SYED SHAHABUDDIN, HAROON RASHID, and Noman Shahzad. “SURGICAL MANAGEMENT OF TRAUMATIC MANUBRIO-STERNAL DISLOCATION WITH LOCKING COMPRESSION PLATE; A CASE REPORT AND REVIEW OF LITERATURE.” International Journal of Medical Reviews and Case Reports (2017): 1. doi:10.5455/ijmrcr.surgical-management-traumatic-manubrio-sternal-dislocation.